Solicitors and barristers get involved in many different types of matters for both individuals and businesses. With the ever increasing speed and complexity of modern life coupled with the increasing use of less qualified staff mistakes can occur. A solicitor will only however be found to have been guilty of negligence in law if they have failed to act with the degree of care and skill to be expected of the reasonably competent solicitor practising in that particular area of law. Historically lawyers appearing in court could not be sued for mistakes but that protection has now been removed.
Not every error of judgement will result in a claim. Solicitors’ negligence claims can involve:
- failing to advise at all or giving the wrong advice
- missing a limitation period such that a claim becomes statute barred
- negotiating too low a settlement
- failing to make proper enquiries of the local authority or the seller in a property transaction
- failing to act with sufficient speed such that an important deadline is missed
Whatever the mistake if you need to sue a solicitor you need to use a specialist professional negligence lawyer to act for you to ensure that you recover the compensation you deserve.
If you are the victim of a dishonest, as opposed to a negligent, solicitor it may be possible to make a claim against the compensation fund maintained by the Law Society.
To speak to a specialist professional negligence lawyer who can help you with your solicitor malpractice claim against a solicitor or any other professional negligence claim contact us today by calling, emailing or requesting a call back from one of our specialist lawyers.